Monday, December 9, 2013

It's Only "See You Later"

I'm not sure where the past 3 months have gone. Suddenly everyone has begun leaving the dorms to go home or travel for some time before going home. Either way, I won't see them again in Thailand. It's nice that we live all over the world because that means that wherever I go I have a contact. However, it also means that we all live so far apart that I can't just hop in my car and make a weekend trip to see people. Because of this goodbyes are difficult. I have been feeling very nostalgic the past few days. The memories and friendships that I have made this semester have been beyond what I could have ever hoped for. I am excited to go home and see my family and friends. I do believe that it's time, but it doesn't make leaving much easier. How can I say goodbye to a semester that has been so wonderful?

3 months ago I came to Thailand not really knowing what to expect. I didn't know anyone else, I didn't know the cultures, and I was scared. I have since met wonderful people, made memories that run the gamut, and truly fallen in love with traveling and Southeast Asia.

I am struggling to sum this semester up, so I have decided to use the words of my friends to help.

Brandon:
September 8th: "No garbage cans, police, netflix, packer games, or traffic laws. Lots of strange meat, very minimal English, 89 and SUPER humid, and a freaking crazy experience so far!"

To think I am getting on a plane tomorrow freaks me out. I remember day 1 like it was yesterday (I wish I could say that about every day). I feel like a different person today and when I look outside my window I see my home, not a foreign country.
I am so fortunate to have been housed with so many amazing people in the hands down best country for studying abroad. I know the "goodbye" is only temporary for many, but never again will we be in an environment like this together. It's another chapter in life's story and I learned a lot from it. Thailand, and the memories created here, will always have a special place in my heart. #greenparkerforlife



Andrew:
My third time being emotional in my adult life was today and it is no surprise why it is so. It would not be right for this to be called "Green Park House" it was called "Home" for a reason. Coming to Thailand I did not know what to expect and thus my expectations were swept away each and every minute of each and every day. I have been trying to figure out if it was the places, the night life, the beaches, the scuba diving, or the culture that made this place so special to me. Then I realized that it has really not been any of that. It was sharing these experiences with some of the most talented, smart, and beautiful people I had ever encountered in my life. I feel today that I left home, but I know that I have not really left home and my home will be revisited when I come to meet up with each of those incredible people as my home was shared with each and everyone of them. Thailand you have my fascination, wonder, and amazing experience, but Green Park Home; you all have my heart. This is not good bye in any way, but rather see you later and a smile because we all know what happened. Mai ben rai my friends.. you have changed my life in ways I will never be able to fully explain to anyone. Until next time.. "see you later" .. oh shit..tearing up



As you can see, I live in a dorm that became my home with people that became my family. My last night in the dorm we ordered food, invited everyone over that was still around and, for the last time in Green Park, enjoyed each others company and reminisced about the semester. I don't know if this is how everyone feels about their study abroad experience, but I hope that they make similar friendships and tons of fond memories as I have here. This semester has changed my life, how I view the world, and helped me grow as an individual. I have these lovely people to thank.

So, thanks for the memories, guys. Reunion next year?



No comments:

Post a Comment